The 6th Godswill Akpabio International Scrabble Classics will be held in Uyo, Akwa Ibom state, Nigeria from the 27th to 30th September 2012. The event is sponsored by the executive Governor of Akwa Ibom State, His Excellency Godswill Obot Akpabio and hosted by the good people of Uyo in the serene and hospitable Akwa Ibom state of Nigeria. The last edition of the Classics was won by Mr Sammy Okosagah, a Nigerian International Scrabble Master based in the U.K. He took home the sum of $10,000 (ten thousand US dollars) for his efforts. Scrabble players from all over the world are invited to this prestigious event, the highest paying Scrabble event ( in sum total of prize monies across categories) worldwide. The event is in 4 (four) categories (divisions): Masters, Intermediate, Open and Veterans categories.
- Masters category: Nigeria (rated) players above 1500 and Internationals,
- Intermediate category: Nigerian Scrabble players rated between 1200-1499
- Open: Players rated below 1200 and new players.
- Veterans: 55+ and inactive captains of industry with NSF reserving the right to decide.
No of Games: 28 games across all categories Lexicon: Colins Scrabble Words 2012 (CSW12) Rules: WESPA rules version 2 with a 10pt penalty for moves challenged.
- Wednesday 26th Sept: Arrivals
- Thursday 27th: Physical Registration, Guided tour of Akwa Ibom and Opening ceremony.
- Friday 28th: 8am – 7pm (10 games)
- Saturday 29th: 8am -7pm (10 games)
- Sunday 30th: 8am-5pm (8 games) 7pm- Closing/Gala
See details of the event by on the Godswill Akpabio Classics event information page.